Sunday, January 13, 2008

Almost mid January already

Well here it is another beautiful, sunny Sunday in January. This month has been much kinder to us poor snow-weary Nova Scotians, than December was. Here in Hammonds Plains we are almost down to the bare ground in most places. Alas, I hear that we are in for more snow tomorrow. Well what can you do? We do live in Canada and it is January. Could be worse and we could not have a warm place to be in to get out of the weather. Having said that it looks like some people in this province and country are having to make the choice to buy home heating oil or food. No one should ever be put in that position but I know that many people are.
We are paying 1.14 a litre for gas here in Halifax and I know it is a bit more in the rural areas. Told Ralph that we may have to think about getting rid of one of the vehicles.

Read this morning in the paper about the horrible accident in Bathurst, N.B. Seven young basketball players and the coach's wife who was a teacher were killed. The coach was driving the van which swerved on the icy roads and hit a tractor trailer. It just all seems so random and pointless. They were 10 minutes away from the fast food restaurant where their parents were waiting for them. They had made it...almost. Terrible waste.

Been here on the Internet looking for a good Pork Rib recipe. Thought we would have a good feed of ribs for supper tonight. Ralph and I went to a movie last night. Neither of us could remember the last time we went out to a movie. We saw "Juno" with Ellen Page, the actress from good old Halifax. It was really good...funny. We both realized why we don't go out a lot to movies, especially on Saturday. Price of admission, $10.99 @ + about $8.00 for a drink and a popcorn. Total of $30.00 for the two of us and a snack to share. Don't know how families do it? I guess they take their own snacks and go on cheap nights. There were two long lineups to get in the theatre. I had never seen the lines stretched outside the theatre like that before. The security guard said that it has been like that the last two Saturdays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes the middle of January already. Snow again tonight, I was hoping all our snow would go, but we still have where the plows piled up and some drifts, but we can see some grass, a lot of fields are bare, as it usually blows off of them.

Yes, that was a tragic accident, I heard it early Saturday morning. I guess he hit a patch of ice.

I guess you are alone for a few days, Doris, I talked to Ralph last night and he is off to Winnipeg. Take care of yourself and Jake, Love Flo