Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ralph and the Olympic Gold Medalist


Well that title got your attention didn't it? Brad Gushue (he's the cute one on the left in the picture) was at the Chapter's store at the Micmac Mall last night signing copies of his new book. Of course our's truly had to be there as he thinks curling ranks right up there with the greatest sport on earth and to have the Newfoundlanders win the Olympic Gold was one of the proudest moments of his life. The only thing that could have made him prouder I think is if he had been on the team :) So anyways Ralph got the book signed and then got to hold the gold medal with his hero. I lifted the medal and it is really, really heavy.

So much for the snow in my last post. It is certainly, completely gone. It has been very mild the last two days. A lot of wind and rain today as a matter of fact. I heard that they had closed both of the harbour bridges here in Halifax to high sided vehicles because of the winds. Rememberance Day is supposed to be very mild. Sunny and 10 degrees. That will be one of the mildest Rememberance Days that we have had for a while.

I am sorry to say that I am on the way to Yarmouth hospital tomorrow. My mom has been in there for almost two weeks and tonight on the phone she sounded pretty bad. She now has pneumonia and sounded very short of breath on the phone. Ralph and I are leaving in the morning for Yarmouth and we will stay the weekend and see what is going on. I would appreciate it if those of you who pray to a higher power that you do so and keep her in your thoughts. I can't help but let it creep into my mind that my Dad passed away from pneumonia in the same hospital 4 years ago. Also last year this time we were getting ready to go up to Toronto to be with Ethel. I am beginning to hate this time of year.

I'll post when I get back and let you all know what is going on.

In FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch;

be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow In Flanders fields.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doris, hope your Mom has improved. Sunny day here for Remembrance Parade. Fred is on parade in three different locations (of course, not at the same time), and I stayed home today, giving my leg a rest (pulled muscle).
Ralph, that is a great picture of you and your hero. Cheers

Anonymous said...

HiAunt Doris
I hope your Mom is feeling better.

Nice picture Uncle Ralph.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Hope your mother is feeling better. My prayers are with you.
Love Margaret.